Subject: Re: [office] Public comment #20 -- default print range in tables

On Tuesday 01 July 2008, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:
> Dave Pawson wrote:
> > 2008/6/30 David Faure <faure@kde.org>:
> >
> >> I have asked myself, is this app-specific behavior or should it be in the spec?
> >> The difference it makes is: if you send a document to someone else and tell
> >> them "print this!", then a difference in behavior between two applications would
> >> indeed break interoperability somewhat; the receiving user will print something rather
> >> different than what the sender of the document intended. Page breaks at
> >> a different place could rather ruin the printed document.
> >> So, contrary to my first reaction of "this is app-specific behavior", I believe
> >> it is useful to have this in the specification.
>
> We have to consider here that we are talking about the default print
> range only, that is, the one that is used if the document does not
> explicitly stores one in the document. That means, if an author wants to
> make sure that another application uses the same print range, then she
> or he can specify the print range in the document. Even more,
> applications may store the print range with every document of this
> appears to be reasonable.

I see. I totally agree, please disregard my previous post.

Interoperability comes from storing the desired print range in the document,
rather than forcing N implementations to use the exact same algorithm for
a default value. It's much much simpler to just expect those implementations
to write out what they want.

> For this reason, I believe it is reasonable to leave it up to the
> application to calculate a reasonable print range. Authors/Application
> that do not want to depend on this may just specify the print the range.

Agreed.

> > I'm not sure about page breaks (A4 vs letter David?)

No solution there, obviously :) Not the common case though.