Subject: Re: [office] Public comment #20 -- default print range in tables

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Andreas J Guelzow <aguelzow@math.concordia.ab.ca> wrote on 07/01/2008
> 02:52:24 PM:
>
>  > On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 14:20 -0400, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
>  > > The point is that if a user makes such a selection, they have not
>  > > changed the value of printrange in their document.  In fact, it may be
>  > > a read-only document and the value of printrange cannot change.
>  >
>  > I have never thought of considering only the "saved" version of the
>  > document. In fact I think that is quite dangerous since "printing the
>  > document" should clearly refer to the version as currently edited
>  > whether saved or not or would you expect that printing only prints the
>  > document as last saved?
>  > >
>  > > In practice, printrange is the last printrange that was set before the
>  > > document was last saved.
>  >
>  > In practice for which application? I am pretty sure that in Excel, File
>  > \Print Area\Show Print Area shows the print area as last set not
>  > necessarily the last printrange that was set before the document was
>  > last saved.
>  >

> table:print-ranges is the list of print ranges that were last set before
> the document was last saved.  What prints at runtime, given other user
> interactions, etc., could be different.  That's my point.

I think the misunderstanding is that you Rob talk about an attribute in
the stored document, while Andreas is talking about a runtime property
of the loaded document.

The attribute in the stored document of cause always reflects what the
user has set as print range before the document was stored.

When the document is loaded, this value is used to initialize the
print-range runtime property. That property may be modified be the user.
If the document is printed, then this value may be considered, but it is
never the original value stored in the document that is considered. It
may however happen that the runtime print-range property still has the
same value.

So, I think you both are not in disagreement, and I actually agree to
what you both say.

Michael

> I don't disagree with anything you've said, but you seem to disagree
> with what I'm saying.  I take that as a sign that we're not speaking the
> same lingo yet.

> -Rob

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS