Subject: Re: [office] Rules for handling parsing errors (was: proposal for ODF 1.2: extension of verticalrelationvaluesfor certain anchor types)

On Friday 04 July 2008, Florian Reuter wrote:
> > a) Treat it as if the attribute was not there
> > b) Try to preserve the value
> > c) Treat is as if the attribute was there but overwrite the invalid value with a "default" value

I don't see the difference between a and c. In both cases the application will use whatever
default value it normally uses for this attribute -- which is IMHO the only sensible thing to
require from an implementation [more precisely not requiring anything when it comes to the
topic of unhandled attribute values. if they're unhandled, then by definition we can't expect
them to be handled ;)]. b) is a common utopia solution which never solved any problem
nor can be implemented fully.