Subject: Re: [office] Support for Alternative Glyphs

Hi,

you might wanna take a look at http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/text.html#AlternateGlyphs for a possible solution...

~Florian

>>> <robert_weir@us.ibm.com> 07/07/08 3:43 PM >>>
"Charles-H. Schulz" <charles-h.schulz@arsaperta.com> wrote on 07/04/2008
09:54:27 AM:

> Hello,
>
> this is a very short message about the requested feature related to
> Alternative Glyphs: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-
> comment/200610/msg00000.html
> I just wanted to let you know that I very much support this comment
> and would be happy to help on this issue.

Is there a convention for how to encode these "alternative glyphs"?

By sticking to Unicode we have the ability in ODF to easily exchange text
content with anyone else that understands Unicode.  So transformation to
HTML is easy, indexing by search engines is easy, etc.

If we layer on an additional encoding mechanism on top of Unicode, I'd
want to make sure that the things that are easy today remain easy.

For example, most of the text in an ODF document is content like this:

We could annotate a character with an alternative glyph through some
ad-hoc escape mechanism:

Or we could introduce a character element to provide additional attributes
at a character level:

Either method makes it more complicated for doing simple operations on the
text.  This also seems very font-specific.  So a document created on
Windows with one font and then displayed on Linux with a fall-back font
will probably not be able to use the same alternative glyph.  In fact,
their rendering may look incorrect if they try.

Are there any XML markups that currently support alternative glyphs?  How
do they do it?