Subject: Re: [office] Defining Alternative Glyphs

I think I have got a rough understanding what alternative glyphs are,
but I still have a couple of questions whose answers would help to get
an understanding what supporting alternative glyphs would mean for ODF?

How are the alternative glyphs used from user perspective? Do I enter a
Unicode character, let's say a "g". The rendering engine then detects
that there are multiple glyphs available for the Unicode character, and
asks me which to show? Or does it select one for me that I can
overwrite, similar to how I can make a character bold? Or does it select
  one based on some algorithms, and this is used?

In the first two cases we would probably need a new formatting property.
In the last case alternative glyphs could be supported by application
without any change to ODF itself.

How many alternative glyphs may exist for a Unicode character? Could
there be more than two glyphs for a character, and is one of these the
default?

How are the alternative glyphs identified? Do they have names? If there
is only a default glyph and an alternative glyph a boolean attribute may
be sufficient. Otherwise there must be a way to identify the alternative
glyphs.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten