Subject: Re: [office] Defining Alternative Glyphs

Dave,

Le 8 juil. 08 à 10:46, Dave Pawson a écrit :

> 2008/7/8 Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org>:
>
>> This is all for latin fonts, things get much more complex for
>> minority fonts,
>> so I won't explain that here. The simplest is to choose a slashed-
>> zero in
>> some cases, which is a user choice for the glyph, but manually
>> forcing the
>> usage of a ligature is another good example.
>>
>> In my opinion this feature is needed for making that last step from
>> nice
>> looking text to professional looking text.
>

> In mine this is a presentation issue which should properly be
> assigned to an application, the presentation layer.
> Not ODF, the standard.

Such questions almost always stand at the edge of the applicative
level; what Thomas is requesting -if I understood him well- is that
since we use UTF-8 by default (and it's not like we have a choice,
since ODF is XML based) we have to care about the issues related to
glyphs that are not easily represented. I thus see this as an
extension of ODF's support of UTF-8.

best,

Charles-H. Schulz
Associé / Founding Partner,