Subject: Re: [office] vertical rel/pos

Hi Florian,

Florian Reuter wrote:
> I'd propose the following amendment to the proposal [http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/extension_of_vertical_relation_values_for_certain_anchor_types] which are best practice in other formats:
> 1. We should follow the CSS rules [http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-CSS21-20070719/syndata.html#parsing-errors] for invalid arguments. This means that the attribute style:vertical-rel should be treated as if it was not there if they have invalid values.
> 2. If the style:vertical-rel attribute is not there then the absolute positioning style:vertical-pos should be  taken into account.
> 3. If a relative as well as an absolute positioning is present, then the relative positioning takes precedence over the absolute positioning.
> 4. We should add the same mechanism for horizontal positioning.

ad 1.
Can you please define more precise, when the value of style:vertical-rel
is invalid in your opinion?

Do you mean the value of style:vertical-rel is invalid, when its value
is not one of the ones we have defined?
In this case I have no problem in supporting your request in applying
the CSS rules you have mentioned.

Do you also mean that the value of style:vertical-rel is invalid, when
it corresponds to one of the defined ones, but in combination of the
value of property text:anchor-type forms a disallowed combination?
In my honest opinion this case is not covered by the above mentioned CSS
rules. But, I think we can define that in this case style:vertical-pos
should also be treated as it is not existing.

ad 2. and 3.
I think you have misunderstood the ODF specification.
The vertical position of an anchored object is specified by
style:vertical-pos _and_ style:vertical-rel. The combination of these
two properties together with svg:y, when value of style:vertical-pos
equals "from-top", specifies the vertical position.
Thus, I can not support your amendments 2 and 3.

Instead I can think we can define the following:
If style:vertical-rel has to be treated as it is not existing to the to
be clarified amendment 1, a value corresponding to the text:anchor-type
could be taken:
text:anchor-type	taken value for not existing style:vertical-rel
page			page
frame			frame
paragraph		paragraph
char			char
as-char			char
Florian, what do you think about this?

ad 4.
For the horizontal positioning I can support something similar as your
amendment 1 for vertical positioning. But, please provide the concrete
wording, especially defining, what should be meant by invalid.
As for the vertical positioning I can not support something similar for
horizontal positioning according your amendments 2 and 3.

Thus currently, I can not support any of your made amendments in its
actual form.
For amendment 1 I need more information to support them.
I am sure that for your amendment 1 we have the same understanding. But,
my questions/requests regarding it have the purpose to assure that this
is really the case.
Amendment 2 and 3 are not valid in my opinion, because these would
change the current understanding of style:vertical-pos and
style:vertical-rel.
I can not support amendment 4 corresponding to my concerns made for 1, 2
and 3.

Best regards, Oliver.

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
Nagelsweg 55             Software Engineer - OpenOffice.org/StarOffice
20097 Hamburg
Germany                  Fax:   (+49 40) 23 646 550
http://www.sun.de        mailto:oliver-rainer.wittmann@sun.com
Sitz der Gesellschaft:

Oliver-Rainer Wittmann (od) - OpenOffice.org Writer