Subject: Re: [office] Re: [office-accessibility] Re: [office] Proposal forRadio Button grouping

Rich,

Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> Rob,
>
> Grouping helps accessibility. Radio buttons are a form of single
> selection. By encompassing them in a group you know they are part of the
> "select." This is not new to accessibility. In fact there is an
> accessibility API role called radiogroup.
> Now for the name. If there is a visible name assigned to the group ...
> think of it as a label we will need to know that. ODF makes use of
> "names" in drawing objects. That is typically a unique name which I did
> not want to confuse with the "label" for the radio group.
>
> So, the name or label I am referring to would be "Primitives" below. A
> screen reader user would tab to the first focused radio button and say
> "Primitives: radio button 4xLine"
>
> Make sense?

In the example you have provided, the box arround the radio buttons
would be an additional control and not drawn automatically. Actually,
the box could not be drawn automatically, because the radio buttons may
be positioned individually and may even appear somewhere within the text
flow.

The control that draws this frame is a <form:frame> control. It's
form:label attribute would have the value "Primitives". It's form:for
attribute would list the IDs of all radio buttons that logically belong
to the frame. This means, there is a relation between the <form:frame>
element and the radio buttons that belong to it.

These radio button may belong to a single radio button group (that is,
have the same name), but they may also belong to different radio buttons
groups. That means, the <form:frame> element is just visual hint and by
its form:for attribute does some logical grouping, but is does not infer
with the grouping of radio buttons by their names.

Furthermore, the controls within the frame and the frame itself may be
positioned independent of each other.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten