Subject: Re: [office] Are all charts always backed by a table?

Dave,

Dave Pawson wrote:
> 2008/8/12 Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@sun.com>:
>

>> So if I understand this exchange correctly, all the info is required as per
>> the ODF spec.,
>>

> Not quite Peter. The spec states that the table 'may' be in one
> location or another.
> There is no requirement (shall statement) for a vendor to provide the
> data as a table.

If a vendor is conforming to the standard and the standard says data for
a chart is in a table in the <chart:chart> element or in a <table:table>
element in the containing document (since a chart is a document in its
own right) that is addressed with a table:cell-address-range attribute,
where else do you think a vendor is going to store the data and claim
conformance to ODF 1.2?

All chart data is stored in table. (full stop) How it is addressed,
either as a table within the chart document or as a range of cells in a
table in the containing document is the only difference.

What language would you suggest if the something along the foregoing
lines is insufficient?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick