Subject: RE: [office] Text for 17.5?

I should make it clear that under PROPOSAL 1, below, the corresponding
paragraph in the current specifications is not touched and the paragraph
from Patrick's understanding is deleted.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200809/msg00100.html
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:54
To: office@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: 'Patrick Durusau'; Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM

Actually, I *was* stunned into silence.  Mostly it was because I had
mis-read Michael's proposal for the paragraph that describes the base-IRI
rule.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The OASIS Standard for ODF 1.0 refers to a different RFC and
uses URI, not IRI.  The IRI language and RFC3986/RFC3987 are only used in IS
26300 (and ODF 1.0ed2-cs1).  So we need to word the erratum appropriately to
do the right thing in the respective documents.  I also think there are some
edge cases around character-set encodings in Zip files versus in the XML
versus in file systems, along with the presumption that IRIs are in an
encoding of Unicode (but may have URL %-escaping).  We need to look at
tightening that for 1.2, perhaps.

WITH REGARD TO PATRICK'S UNDERSTANDING OF THE PROPOSAL

PROPOSAL 1:

Make no changes to the text of the paragraph beginning "A relative-path
reference ..."

PROPOSAL 2:

Boil the second paragraph, beginning "Every IRI reference" down to this
much:

***
IRI that are not relative-path references must not reference files inside a
package. Relative-path references that lead beyond the package at any point
along the path must not reference files inside any package.
***

OBSERVATION 1.  The "special processing" observation goes too far in
considering how implementations work.  I believe that the above makes it
clear enough that only the processor that has the package open can provide
the within-package navigation, but once a reference leads beyond a package,
by whatever means, processing can be delegated to the host system using the
(suitably-adjusted) IRI/URI.

OBSERVATION 2.  I would love to see 17.5 cleaned up better than this, but
that involves addressing the portion that begins "The following restrictions
exist ..." and I think that takes us too far from the problem at hand.

 - Dennis