Subject: Re: [office] Coordination Call Attendance

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 09/29/2008
09:43:28 AM:

> Michael and Robert,
>
> I notice that the membership and voting membership of OASIS TCs is
rather
> fluid.

Membership is more fluid than voting membership.  Any OASIS member can
join as a TC member or remove themselves as a member at will.  Just click
a button and it happens.  Voting membership, however, is obtained (and
lost) in accordance with well-defined rules.  However the attendance
tracking tool we use is not ideal.  Although it will track how many voting
members attended a particular meeting (for quorum requirements) it does
not determine who is a voting member.  Chairs need to do this
determination manually.  Also, although it records who was in attendance
at a given meeting it only tallies the total number of voting members.  It
does not break it down further.

> In the minutes, it would be valuable to know
>
> 1. Which attendees were voting members at the start of the meeting (with
an
> asterisk or other indicator).
>
> 2. Which voting members were absent from the meeting, whether on leave,
etc.

> I find this valuable, as a newcomer, to understand how the quorum is
> composed and also to know, at each occasion, who the voting members are,
> whether attending or not.

Do you know that you can get this information for the current instant by
looking at the roster page for the ODF TC:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/members/roster.php

This info will be as accurate as the last time a Chair updated it.
Typically I update when preparing the minutes.

> This is also moderately useful historically, since otherwise it is not
clear
> in minutes of past meetings how the body was constituted at that time.
(It
> also has a parliamentary function around reconsideration, although I
don't
> expect that to be of much concern.)

In practice, we have three kinds of votes:

1) For questions for which OASIS process or TC standing rules require a
vote, but which the Chair believes consensus exists, I will typically call
for unanimous consent.  If there are no objections raised, the motion is
approved.  If objections are raised, we discuss and if consensus is not
reached, we have a roll call vote.  I'd say 90% of formal questions are
decided this way.

2) Robert's Rules calls for a voice vote on most questions -- calling the
ayes and nays.  In practice, on a phone call this is in general impossible
for a chair to judge.  Different phone lines have different volumes, and I
cannot determine membership voting rights on a voice call.  So any
non-consensus question on a call we come down to a roll-call vote where I
would read off the list of all eligible voting TC members in attendance.
Such a vote would be recorded in the minutes with the names and voting
positions of those who voted.

3) For some questions, typically the most serious or controversial
questions, we can set up an electronic ballot.  This runs for 1 week and
allows only eligible voters to vote.  The votes for these electronic
ballots, since they do not occur in a meeting, are not in the minutes. But
they are recorded here:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/ballots.php

So, I think that in practice, we already record the votes in all
non-consensus questions.  I'm not sure whether there is any advantage to
doing this for all votes.  But it is certainly your right, as a member, to
request, for any particular question, a roll-call vote in accordance with
Robert's Rules.  A motion to have a roll-call vote requires majority
approval.