Subject: RE: [office] ODF TC call agenda and duration

If we can keep the main TC meetings to an hour, I think that is
preferable.  The critical thing is for the meetings to focus on things
that require a quorum of TC members to accomplish.  These are formally
items which require votes by OASIS TC process or by the TC's standing
rules.

If we are spending TC time on things that does not require all of, then we
are probably not operating as efficiently as we could.

I notice that we have been spending a large amount of time recently on
defect reports and errata.  Although this is important work, it is
probably not something that should dominate our TC  call time.  We should
be spending most of our time on ODF 1.2 proposals that are ready for
approval, or nearly so.

That is my opinion.  Does anyone disagree with that premise?

What we have done in the past is create subcommittees when an important
side activity requires a prolonged level of communication among a number
of TC members to produce a draft ready for review by the entire TC.  We
did this for accessibility initially, and then again for formula and
metadata.  We recently did this again for ODF Next Requirements.

Subcommittees is how the TC scales its efforts.  If we had to discuss the
minutia of every proposal on every call, we would never get anything done.
 But if we have interested TC members prepare drafts in SC's, then we get
the advantages of having the interested experts produce the draft, while
preserving the rights of all TC members to review, possibly modify and
eventually vote on the final version.

Of course, not everything require a SC.  If something can be resolved with
a week-long discussion on the list, or my having a one-time call with an
ad-hoc group of TC members, then that can be handled without the formality
and overhead of a SC.  But let's recognize when a SC is appropriate.

It appears that Japan has submitted a 2nd defect report on ODF 1.0.
Nothing surprising.  More typographical errors, much of it which we've
already seen.  But we will need to process these, as well as other
comments received by the public.  Rather than dominate TC time with these
important, but less time sensitive issues, I wonder whether it is now
appropriate to create a Maintenance SC?  Participants in this SC would be
responsible for reviewing incoming comments and defect reports on existing
ODF TC deliverables, and proposing dispositions (fix via errata, fix in
next version, no fix, etc.) and drafting errata documents.  Both proposed
dispositions and draft errata documents would be submitted to the full TC
for review and approval.

I'm assuming that such a SC would attract interest from Patrick, Michael,
Dennis and me.  Maybe others as well.  In many cases we're already doing
this work.  The important thing would be that we would be taking this work
off of the TC's agenda, and dealing with it (in the draft stage at least)
via a separate call, thus preserving our current ODF TC call at 6 minutes.

-Rob

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 09/29/2008
09:33:46 AM: