Subject: RE: [office] Meeting Effectiveness and Maintenance SC

My impression is that the TC Coordination Calls work best with the work
off-line to the calls and actions requiring voting well prepared prior to
the call (with the probe for comments prior to that call).

I also think that creation of a Maintenance Committee is timely, although I
can see polling the TC list on items where we would be baffled or uncertain
about the committee's desired direction.  I am available for such work along
with Michael, Rob, Patrick, and others.  In my case, it is part of my
gaining mastery over the specification so I can contribute more properly on
technical matter, so now is a good time before the spec hiccups become
invisible to me.

 - Dennis

PS: I am concerned a little about the number of weekly calls I may be
dealing with.  I need to revamp my home-office telephony arrangements, I
think.

-----Original Message-----
From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [mailto:robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200810/msg00004.html
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 22:02
To: 'OpenDocument Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [office] ODF TC call agenda and duration

If we can keep the main TC meetings to an hour, I think that is
preferable.  The critical thing is for the meetings to focus on things
that require a quorum of TC members to accomplish.  These are formally
items which require votes by OASIS TC process or by the TC's standing
rules.

If we are spending TC time on things that does not require all of, then we
are probably not operating as efficiently as we could.

I notice that we have been spending a large amount of time recently on
defect reports and errata.  Although this is important work, it is
probably not something that should dominate our TC  call time.  We should
be spending most of our time on ODF 1.2 proposals that are ready for
approval, or nearly so.

That is my opinion.  Does anyone disagree with that premise?

[ ... ]

It appears that Japan has submitted a 2nd defect report on ODF 1.0.
Nothing surprising.  More typographical errors, much of it which we've
already seen.  But we will need to process these, as well as other
comments received by the public.  Rather than dominate TC time with these
important, but less time sensitive issues, I wonder whether it is now
appropriate to create a Maintenance SC?  Participants in this SC would be
responsible for reviewing incoming comments and defect reports on existing
ODF TC deliverables, and proposing dispositions (fix via errata, fix in
next version, no fix, etc.) and drafting errata documents.  Both proposed
dispositions and draft errata documents would be submitted to the full TC
for review and approval.

[ ... ]

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 09/29/2008
09:33:46 AM: