Subject: RE: [office] Ballot request for style inheritance proposal

One suggestion, one set of questions:

1. It would appear that it is appropriate to incorporate this text into the
current draft 7-10.

2. I am a little baffled about the default case when there is no explicit
specification of a formatting property in the direct style and its ancestors
(via the style:parent-style-name chain) and the default style of the
style:family also fails to provide the formatting property.

   2.1 Is this a case for which we are looking to make consistent defaults
and that is being explored separately?

   2.2 Are there also cases where the absence of a formatting property is
best understood as meaning that the property does not exist or does not
apply in the case at hand?

   2.3 If the formatting property is needed, and there is no provision, is
this not an error in the document?  (I am trying to understand why the
default in the absence of explicit and default specification is
implementation-specific, and why it is a good thing in this case.)

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM [mailto:Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 01:35
To: OpenDocument Mailing List

Hi Rob, all,

I would like to request a vote for the following proposal:

http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/StyleInheritanceProposal

Below is a copy of the propsal which is the text we actually will vote on.

The following text should be added to section of 15.2 <style:style> of
ODF 1.2 draft 7-5:

Styles defined by the <style:style> element create a hierarchical style
model and support inheritance of formatting properties. To determine the
value of a formatting property, it is first checked if the style that is
referenced by a particular object directly, for instance by a paragraph,
specifies a value for the formatting property. If this is the case, then
this value is taken. If the style does not specify a value for the
formatting property, and if the style has a parent style, then this
parent style is checked. A parent style is specified the
style:parent-style-name attribute.

If the parent style specifies a value for the formatting property, this
value is taken. Otherwise its parent style is checked, if it is defined.
This process is continued until either a value for the formatting
property has been found, or until a style has no parent style. If a
value for the formatting property has not been found, then the default
style that has the same family as the style that has been referenced
initially is checked. If it specifies a value for the formatting
property, then this value is taken. Otherwise an implementation specific
value is taken.

Schema changes/additions:

none

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org