Subject: Re: [office] Ballot request for style inheritance proposal

On 10/13/08 05:58, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> One suggestion, one set of questions:
>
> 1. It would appear that it is appropriate to incorporate this text into the
> current draft 7-10.
>
> 2. I am a little baffled about the default case when there is no explicit
> specification of a formatting property in the direct style and its ancestors
> (via the style:parent-style-name chain) and the default style of the
> style:family also fails to provide the formatting property.
>
>    2.1 Is this a case for which we are looking to make consistent defaults
> and that is being explored separately?

This is

http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/Add_default_values

>    2.2 Are there also cases where the absence of a formatting property is
> best understood as meaning that the property does not exist or does not
> apply in the case at hand?

There are different cases why a default for a property does not appear
in file:

- The property indeed may not apply.
- The author of the document does not want to provide a value, but wants
to leave it up to the application to choose an appropriate value.
- There may be no reasonable default value.

>    2.3 If the formatting property is needed, and there is no provision, is
> this not an error in the document?  (I am trying to understand why the
> default in the absence of explicit and default specification is
> implementation-specific, and why it is a good thing in this case.)

No, this is not an error in the document.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten