Subject: RE: FW: [office] Discussion Requested - Version Identification at the Feature Level

I'm thinking this over.

I agree with Michael's observation that this is non-normative information.

I find it awkward that it not be with the information in the main text in
some way, just to make sure it is maintained accurately, but I suppose one
could live with a non-normative catalog of sorts.

In terms of matching the Table-of-Contents (TOC) structure, it would be
helpful if the TOC numbered all the way down (or at least that sections were
numbered all the way down, whether the TOC goes all the way or not), so that
cross-referencing could work.  This would be for cross-reference into the
normative text, but not the reverse.  (I can't wait for a version of OO.o or
Word 2007 -- whichever one comes first -- that permit backing up through a
path of followed links.)

CONCERNS:

In the ODF 1.0/1.1 Documents, attributes are specified in conjunction with
the elements that have them.  That makes this kind of version identification
fairly easy, based off the TOC (deepened as necessary for accurate
cross-reference and identification of the relevant descriptions).

In the ODF 1.2 organization, this is more problematic because attribute
definitions are factored out so that all hononymic usages have to be
explained in a single place (and should be backlinked to the relevant
element descriptions in a more fine-grained way, potentially).

I am not sure how well the 1.2 organization lends itself to version
tracking.  I don't want to rule that out, but I think it takes something
more in the way the homonymic usages are specified.  It is probably a
something more that we already need.

Let's keep kicking this around.

 - Dennis