Subject: Review of ODF 1.2 specification draft, chapter 4, 5 and 16

Dear TC member,

I also reviewed a part of our current ODF 1.2 specification draft,
namely chapters 4, 5 and 16, except sub chapters "16.16

I have made some changes directly to an ODF document containing only the
reviewed chapter. My edits are using certain paragraph styles:
- Paragraph style "ChangedByOD" with yellow background for changed text
- Paragraph style "NewByOD" with green background for new text
- Paragraph style "DeletedByOD" with red background and strike through
characters for deleted text

Please have a look at the corresponding attachments.

Furthermore I have the following remarks/comments/questions:

- The reason for the inserted paragraph at the beginning of chapter "4
Text Content", which defines term "paragraph elements" is that this term
is used in chapter "5 Paragraph Elements Content".

- Move sub chapter "4.1.2 <text:number>" to chapter "5 Paragraph
Elements Content". Reason: As the other elements in chapter 5
<text:number> is a child element of <text:h> (heading) and <text:p>
(paragraph).

- Ad "Ed Note Last paragraph is completely opaque. The styles should be
in descending order of choice." in sub chapter "4.3.5 Default List Style":
 From my point of view only one relevant information is contained in
this paragraph. Namely, that the list level of the list determines which
list level properties from the list style are applied to the list items
of the list.

- Ad "Ed Note: The assumption of an application specific default may be
optimistic.":
I do not agree. An application, such as OpenOffice.org, provides the
functionality to start a new list to the user via its user interface.
When using this functionality the user does not have to specify a
complete list style, which is applied to this new list. Thus, such an
application has an idea of a default list style. This list style is
meant in my opinion by an application specific default.

- Move sub chapter "4.3.5 Default List Style" in front of sub chapter
"4.3.2 <text:list-header>".

- Chapter "4.4 Numbered Paragraph Style Rule" have to be a sub chapter
of "4.3 Lists".

- Insert references at corresponding marked text snippets - "ref-..."

- Chapter "4.8 Document Declarations"
Question: Is it intention that the declarations are now possible for all
document types (text document, spreadsheet, presentation, ...)? In draft
6 these declarations are only for ODF documents, which represent text
documents.

- Chapter "5 Paragraph Elements Content":
I have made some changes to consistently use term "paragraph elements"
instead of phrases like "heading or paragraph". I hope I have found
every occurence of such a phrase and replaced it.

- Sub chapter "5.2.1 General" should be changed to "5.2.1 Bookmarks".

- Sub chapters "5.2.2 <text:bookmark>", "5.2.3 <text:bookmark-start>"
and "5.2.4 <text:bookmark-end" should be sub chapters of sub chapter
"5.2.1 Bookmarks", because these describe the elements of bookmarks.

- Sub chapters "5.3.2 <text:note-citation>" and "5.3.3 <text:note-body>"
should be sub chapters of sub chapter "5.3.1 <text:note>", because these
describe elements of element <text-note>.

- Last paragraph of chapter "16.1 General" does not makes sense without
preceding paragraphs of ODF 1.2 specification draft 6, sub chapter
"16.1.3 Processing Rules For Formatting Properties"

- Question:
What happened to the contents of ODF 1.2 specification draft 6 sub
chapters "16.1.1 Simple Formatting Properties" and "16.1.2 Complex
Formatting Properties"

- sub chapter "16.3.1 <style:columns>" should be a sub chapter of
chapter "16 Formatting Properties"

- sub chapter "16.3.2 <style:footnote-sep>" should be a sub chapter of
chapter "6.2 <style:page-layout-properties>", because it describes a
child element of <style:page-layout-properties.

- sub chapter "16.6.2 <style:tab-stop>" should be a sub chapter of sub
chapter "16.6.1 <style:tab-stops>, because it describes a child element
of <style:tab-stops>.

- sub chapter "16.8.1 <style:columns>" is a duplicate of sub chapter
"16.3.1 <style:columns>". I proposed to integrate its content into sub
chapter "16.3.1 <style:columns>" and then delete it.

- sub chapter "16.8.2 <style:column>" should be sub chapter of sub
chapter "16.3.1 <style:columns>", because it describes a child element
of <style:columns>.

- sub chapter "16.8.4 <style-column>" is a duplicate of "16.8.2

- sub chapter "16.14 <style:list-level-label-alignment>" should be sub
chapter of sub chapter "16.13 <style:list-level-properties>", because it
describes a child element of <style:list-level-properties>.

- sub chapter "16.15.1 <text:list-style>":
Element <text:list-style> is already specified in chapter "15.17
<text:list-style>. I proposed to integrate content of "16.15.1" into
"15.17" and deleted "16.15.1".

- sub chapter "16.15.1.1 <style:columns>" is a duplicate of sub chapter
"16.3.1 <style:columns>". I proposed to integrate its content into sub
chapter "16.3.1 <style:columns>" and then delete it.

Regards, Oliver.

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
Nagelsweg 55             Software Engineer - OpenOffice.org/StarOffice
20097 Hamburg
Germany                  Fax:   (+49 40) 23 646 955
http://www.sun.de        mailto:oliver-rainer.wittmann@sun.com
Sitz der Gesellschaft:

Oliver-Rainer Wittmann (od) - OpenOffice.org Writer

OpenDocument-v1.2-draft7-chapter4-commentedByOD.odt

OpenDocument-v1.2-draft7-chapter5-commentedByOD.odt

OpenDocument-v1.2-draft7-chapter16-commentedByOD.odt;filename*0=OpenDocument-v1.2-draft7-chapter16-commentedByOD.odt