Subject: Re: ODF 1.0 Maintenance + Synchronizationof OASIS:ISO/IEC

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 10/16/2008
10:11:59 PM:

> NEW QUESTION
> ------------
>
> This must have been considered and I apologize for revisiting old
analysis,
> but I am curious if the current maintenance and incoming avalanche of
> defect-report items justifies another look:
>
> 1. IS THERE ANY TECHNICAL OBSTACLE TO PROCESSING
OpenDocument-v1.0ed2-cs1 AS
> AN OASIS STANDARD?

It would be quite unusual to create a new OASIS standard for material that
is older and inferior (in terms of accessibility, for example) to a more
resent OASIS Standard, namely ODF 1.1.  In particular I don't think I
would support sending something out for review and balloting as an OASIS
standard that had known accessibility defects.  It sends the wrong
message.  Sure, we could wave our arms and say it was purely for
"alignment" purposes, but opponents will immediately latch on to the
(apparent) regression in accessibility and go to town with that.

> 2. IF WE CAN DO IT, WHY IT MIGHT BE A POWERFUL IMPROVEMENT FOR
MAINTENANCE
> AND SC34 SYNCHRONIZATION:
>
>    2.1 The idea would be to process Second Edition CS1 without changes
(no
> applied errata) and go through the pain of an OASIS Standard ballot
process
> solely for the purpose of aligning with ISO/IEC now and for future
> maintenance of PAS-submitted OASIS ODF Standards.
>    2.2 The benefit would be to have a 2d edition of ODF 1.0 that is an
OASIS
> Standard and that is perfectly aligned with IS 26300:2006.
>    2.3 We could now reconcile maintenance of ODF 1.0 with IS 26300 in a
> direct way (first, using the errata we already have) and not go into
> contortions where ODF 1.0 and ODF 1.0ed2 differ, and we could make
errata on
> the Second Edition that are directly responsive to such items that come
up
> with ODF comments and with defect reports from SC34.  Comments and
defect
> submissions involving substantive changes would be deferred up-level to
an
> in-progress or subsequent version.
>    2.4 All subsequent OASIS ODF Standards (ODF 1.1 and ODF 1.2) are
> descendents of ODF 1.0ed2, so there is no discontinuity in the lineage
of
> OASIS Standard specifications.
>
> But, of course, it matters whether this is easily done under OASIS
> procedures and is considered worthy.

I think we have a fishhook and the solution is to push it forwards, not
backwards.  Push defect fixes forward to ODF 1.2 and then ensure that ODF
1.2 is not changed in the ISO/IEC PAS process.  That will prevent future
divergence.

Remember, ODF 1.0 is not used by any major vendor.  Today IBM, Sun,
Novell, even Microsoft are all on ODF 1.1 or ODF 1.2.  Real-world use
requires the accessibility fixes in ODF 1.1, at least among the real-world
adopters of ODF, which tend to be public sector and are legally obligated
to provide accessible solutions. So fixing things in ODF 1.0 is of little
practical consequence.   If ODF 1.0 were in wide use, I might agree with
you.

Now it would be more interesting to take all of the changes made in ODF
1.1 (and you can see them in the appendix) and apply those, as errata to
ODF 1.0 (second edition) and then make this be the common version between
OASIS and SC34.  This would at least have the virtue of being a standard
that is widely implemented.  But it would be a significant task to do
this.

> 3. KEY ASSUMPTION
>
> I am operating under the assumption that ODF 1.0 versions will continue
> have overlapping lives and are generally intended to be upward
compatible,
> at least in the ODF 1.x series.

Once a standard, always a standard.  The mere creation of ODF 1.x or 2.x
does not eliminate ODF 1.0.  There is no process for undoing a standard in
OASIS, though there is a process in ISO/IEC, called "stabilization" for
putting aside an obsolete standard.  You essentially say that you will no
longer do maintenance on it, neither corrigenda nor technical revision,
and it is removed from the SC work program.

> I presume that a PAS submission for ODF 1.2, say, would be viewed as a
new
> ISO/IEC Standard and not just a maintenance of IS 26300.  I am guessing
> about that.  If it were to be IS 26300:2009, say, I think it would not
be
> presumed to obsolete 26300:2005 either way.

It is common for PAS (and Fast Track) standards to have future versions
submitted as "technical revisions".  I've certainly seen some submitted
with language stating that it cancels and replaces previous versions.  I
don't know if we would do that, but I've certainly seen it happen.  See
Ecma C# Programming Language, for example.  The second edition (ISO/IEC
23270:2006) carries the following note in the Forward:

"This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition (ISO/IEC
23270:2003), which has been technically revised."

> I am assuming that for the foreseeable future, ODF 1.x Standards do not
> supplant any of their predecessors.  This assumption is consistent with
the
> handling of other standards for (interchange) formats, since the formats
may
> be long-lived whether or not there is active development and interest in
> extended versions.  (I notice that XML 1.0 is about to go to edition 5,
> although there is a complaint about substantive changes in that one.)
>

> 4. SOAP BOX
>
> Finally, from my position of ignorance of the ins-and-outs of the PAS
> process and the OASIS relationship with ISO/IEC JTC1, I would think that
an
> alignment of this kind would be viewed as a positive step in carrying
out
> PAS-submitter responsibilities for maintenance.
>
> It would certainly make our maintenance work more straightforward.
Having a
> common errata for ODF 1.0 and ODF 1.0ed2 would also make much more sense
> (since almost all items will apply to both specifications), and the
drive
> for clarifications from SC34 and IS 26300:2006 adopters would be greatly
> facilitate.

There are really two questions, and I think we should consider the first
one carefully:

1) What maintenance work should we be doing?
2) And what will make that work easier?

The question of what work we should be doing is a question for this TC and
this TC alone.  JTC1/SC34 does not set our maintenance priorities.  We are
not agents of SC34.  We own the maintenance of ODF, the vendors, users and
other parties represented on this TC.  (And I should say that our TC
roster includes 7 members of SC34, so they should feel free to speak up as
well).  In terms of my single vote on the TC, I will not be casting it to
spend time and effort on making additional trivial editorial changes to a
version of ODF that is not implemented by any member of the TC, nor dare I
say by any member of SC34.

Of course, we need to respond to defect reports submitted by SC34, and do
so in a timely and courteous fashion.  But we are not obligated to make
any change to any particular version of ODF based purely on these defect
reports.  Responding to a defect report does not automatically mean
creating another errata document.  That is one possible response.  Another
possible response is to state that we will apply the fixes directly and
only to ODF 1.2.  That is at our discretion.

You express concern for clarifications by ODF adopters.  I share this
concern.  But I note that in processing the SC34 defect report, which as
you've seen largely consists of trivial editorial comments, we have passed
over dozens of publicly submitted comments on our comment list.  We've
taken the SC34 defect report out of turn and have since then delayed
responding to early submitted public comments, many of which have raised
more substantial questions than the SC34 defect report.  So I am concerned
that we are taking time to replace "A" with "An" and "the the" with "the"
when more significant issues, some reported by you yourself, remain
unacknowledged and unprocessed on the public comment list.

-Rob