Subject: Re: [office] Groups - proposal: preferred view mode upon opening document (08-06-08-proposal00070) uploaded

Hi Warren,

"Warren Turkal" <turkal@google.com> wrote on 10/28/2008 01:52:45 AM:

> "Warren Turkal" <turkal@google.com>

> Ming Fei Jia/China/IBM@IBMCN

> office@lists.oasis-open.org

> 10/27/2008 10:54 PM

> Re: [office] Groups - proposal: preferred view mode upon opening
> document (08-06-08-proposal00070) uploaded

> Ming and everyone else,
>
> I like the proposal's high-level form at this point, so I am dive into
> the text a little.
>
> The text is a little weak. What do you think of the following text to
> replace your Preferred View Mode description?
>
> The manifest:preferred-view-mode attribute is meant to provide a
> preference on how the author of the document would like the document
> to be presented upon the document being opened. This attribute is only
> applicable to the root file entry with the full path "/". <<<I don't
> understand the previous sentence, so I left it intact.>>>

I explained it before. For each stream in ODF zip package, there corresponds to a file entry. Only the root file entry has media type as ODF document type, e.g."application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text". So I put the preferred view mode attribute in the root file entry.
> There are 3 view modes defined in this spec: "edit", "presentation-slide-show" and
> "read-only". Alternatively, a namespaced value may be used for
> application specific views.

This wording is very similar with Dennis's wording in the previous mail. I copy it here.
"Alternatively, a namespaced value may be used to specify a custom value for the preferred view mode."
The wording game is interesting. I am a little in favor of yours since it is more simple.

>Preferred view modes are not necessarily
> generally applicable to all MIME types, and the default preferred view
> mode is application specific.

Dennis also provided a wording for the default value. I copy it here.
"There is no default value. The behavior of application software is not specified for cases where manifest:preferred-view-mode is absent or the value is one not provided for."
I think "default preferred view mode is application specific" and "There is no default value" have no fundermental difference. It is only a wording game. It depends on we say who has default value. If we say the application has default value, "the default preferred view mode is application specific" is more appropriate. If we say standard has default value. "there is no default value" is more appropriate. I prefer your sentence plus Dennis' second sentence. That is "the default preferred view mode is application specific.The behavior of application software is not specified for cases where manifest:preferred-view-mode is absent or the value is one not provided for."

> Also, the "MIME type" phrase is inconsistent even in the snippet of
> the spec document that you posted. What should we be using? "MIME
> type", "mime type", and "mime-type" are all used in the spec document
> snippet you gave.

I think MIME type is correct. Refer to OpenDocument-v1.2-draf7-10.odt, chapter 1.6 MIME types and Name Extensions.

> We should also add some text about how each of the predefined modes
> works. For instance, if a document calls for edit mode and the app
> only support read-only mode, it should probably fall back to read-only
> mode.

I think Dennis word "The behavior of application software is not specified for cases where manifest:preferred-view-mode is absent or the value is one not provided for." includes this meaning. If the value is one not supported by the application, the processing is application specific.