Subject: Re: [office] preferred view mode upon opening document

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 19:19, Ming Fei Jia <jiamingf@cn.ibm.com> wrote:
>> 1. Isn't a good idea to explicitly define an default view mode (e.g.
>> Edit) to all applications that doesn't support a custom view mode ?
>>

> Good question. In the very original proposal, I have defined an default view
> mode "edit". Later, Warren suggested that do not define a default value
> because the ODF applications are not limited to trational office software,
> some other ODF applications such as e-book may have their specific view mode
> by default. Since this attribute is optional, most of applications may have
> no explict value specified, as well as different applications may have
> different default value. So I agree with Warren's suggestion, not define a
> default value. This is a compromised result. Warren, pls correct me if I'm
> wrong.

I think this is a reasonable description. The basic idea is that the
default view mode is a suggestion. For instance, if I distribute a doc
with a preferred view mode of "read-only", I can't really stop anyone
from editing it. It's just a suggestion to open the doc in a read-only
manner. Maybe OO.o would open it in the read-only mode. Maybe MS
Office doesn't support read-only mode and opens it in the normal edit
mode. It really doesn't matter. I don't think that allowing an app to
decide it's default view mode is harmful in any way. Even if an app
defines some default-view-mode that your user agent doesn't
understand, your agent can just interpret the doc in whatever way its
sees at fit.

wt