Subject: RE: [office] ODF 1.2 draft 7 - table chapter

I was angling for a "modern reference that fully describes the existing
practice" that is recognized complete and authoritative and that can be
cited, found, and used.

I think we are on safe ground with ISO 8601:2004 for the Gregorian calendar,
even though it is a little indirect about it.  (I would not vouch for the
ISO 8601 description of time intervals in units longer than days at all.)

As I said, I have nothing to offer on other important calendars that remain
in use.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [mailto:robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200810/msg00173.html
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 19:22
To: office@lists.oasis-open.org

"Authority" means several different things.  It might be the civil or
religious authority that mandates the use of a calendar.  Or it may be the
first author to fully describe the calendar.  Or it may be a modern
reference that fully describes the existing practice.

[ ... ]

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 10/30/2008
08:42:17 PM:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200810/msg00171.html

> I am a calendar and date-time algorithm junky, so this exchange provoked
> little research on my part.
>
> I don't have any insight about the non-Gregorian calendars, but it would
be
> great to provided references to authoritative sources that can be
located
> and used.

[ ... ]