Subject: RE: [office] ODF 1.2 Conformance and MathML

I definitely confused myself.  Here's what I discovered in the current draft
documents.
[Then I discovered that I misread your statement about ODF Formula documents
having <math:math> roots.   I thought you were talking about OpenFormula and
I went down hill from there.  The analysis is still valid and the
conclusions reflect this realization.]

A. ANALYSIS

The latest draft for OpenFormula (ODF 1.2 part 2) only mentions MathML in
non-normative ways concerning how OpenFormula is different.  There is a
citation of the MathML specification in the references, but there is no
reference to the citation in any text.  There is of course no mention of
<math:math>.  It took me a while to be reminded that OpenFormula is for an
attribute value and doesn't have XML structure at all.

In ODF 1.2 draft 7-10 I searched for all occurrences of "math:math" and
"MathML" with not much found.

<math:math> and <office:document> are explicitly allowed as child elements
of <draw:object> when the <draw:object> element does not have external
content. Alternatively, the <draw:object> may reference, via xlink:href,
separate XML documents having <math:math> or <office:document> root
elements.  The separate XML document may be contained in a sub file in the
same package as the XML document having the <draw:object> element.  These
separate files can also be free-standing files that are external to the file
(and any package that contains it) that contains the <draw:object> element
and referenced via an xlink:href attribute.

Also, <math:math> and <office:document> elements are allowed as
child/external elements of <db:component> elements in exactly the same way
as for <draw:object>.

Section 13.6 <math:math> says that the element may be used with
<db:component> and <draw:object> and nothing else.  I think this is an
artifact of how the cross-referencing is done.  (E.g., it is not the case
that <math:math> has no attributes or content.  It is the case that such
things are not defined by the ODF specification, but by the MathML
specification.  And the reference to external XML documents that have those
root elements is not to be found in the schema.

MathML and <math:math> are not mentioned at all in the package draft 6.

That's all there is about MathML and <math:math> (and embedded
<office:document>) in the existing drafts (and in earlier standards).

B. CONCLUSIONS

1. I think there is some way that these cases need to be reflected with more
clarity in the Document Processing and Conformance sections. My initial
thoughts are pretty half-baked, so I will wait before suggesting anything.

2. The ODF Formula document and ODF Formula Template document need to be
defined in the specification. The only mention of the concept is in the
non-Normative MIME type appendix.

3. One needs to decide what the game is about foreign attributes and
elements under <math:math>.

4. [also about Conformance as long as I'm making a list] There needs to be
some statement about processing of elements and attributes that are not
foreign and their appearance is valid but not supported in a given
Conformant Processor.  Maybe this is a blanket case for
implementation-defined with some recommended behavior.  This probably needs
to be incorporated in further pondering on (1).

 - Dennis