Subject: Coordination with SC 34 News

Greetings!

A couple of items that will be of interest on coordination with JTC 1/SC
34 on the maintenance of ISO 26300.

As many of you know, we have been doing our best to both answer issues
with ISO 26300 and crafting a process to answer those issues.

This came up at the JTC 1 Plenary meeting in Nara, Japan and SC 34 and
OASIS agreed to the following resolution:

> JTC1 recognizes the timely response (N9398) from OASIS
> to the SC34 liaison statement (SC34 N1095), and thanks
> OASIS for the new draft errata to ODF 1.0. JTC1
> particularly welcomes OASIS's proposal to confer with
> JTC1 and SC34 to forge a genuine partnership for
> collaboratively handling the maintenance of ODF/IS 26300.
> JTC1 requests SC34 and OASIS to develop a document
> specifying the detailed operation of joint maintenance
> procedures, with a common goal of preparation of
> technically-equivalent documents, and taking into account
> the requirements and constraints of both standards bodies.
> SC34 is requested to consider this document at its March
> 2009 plenary and report the results to JTC1 following this
> meeting.
You can view the entire report where this resolution was reported (slide
12) at: http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc34/open/1115.pdf

My understanding is that representatives from OASIS are planning on
attending an SC 34 meeting in Okinawa in late January to discuss the the
"detailed operation of joint maintenance procedures" referred to above.

Hope everyone is looking forward to a great weekend!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)