Subject: Re: [office] view settings

Hi Doug,

Doug Mahugh wrote:
> As defined, application settings provide the ability to store document
> and view settings.  Some of the settings typically stored with
> config-items are application specific, but many would be beneficial to
> share between applications.
>

> For example, standardized storage of the following spreadsheet settings
> would allow implementers to provide a more consistent user experience
> across multiple implementations and formats:
>

> - Active Worksheet
>
> - Current Cell
>
> - Display of gridlines
>
> - Zoom value
>
> - Horizontal and Vertical Splits
>
> - Print settings
>

> I would like to propose the addition of these common settings, but
> before I write it up I’m curious whether there has been discussion of
> the general concept (document/view settings) in the past, and whether
> there has been consensus on how to decide which settings are included in
> the standard.  Has there been any specific reason for not including
> these types of settings?

I am remembering a similar discussion started by David Faure.
Doing some search I found our former ODF 1.2 Action Items wiki page -
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/OpenDocument_v1.2_Action_Items. On
this wiki page I found under "Suggested" the item "Settings
Interoperability".
Thus, there had been a discussion like your proposed one, but
unfortunately we did not continue/finish it.

Best regards, Oliver.

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
Nagelsweg 55             Software Engineer - OpenOffice.org/StarOffice
20097 Hamburg
Germany                  Fax:   (+49 40) 23 646 955
http://www.sun.de        mailto:oliver-rainer.wittmann@sun.com
Sitz der Gesellschaft:

Oliver-Rainer Wittmann (od) - OpenOffice.org Writer