Subject: Re: [office] add list level attribute to style:style

Hi Oliver,

> Thus, the paragraph's list level and the paragraph style's list level
> can differ in a certain ODF instance.
> My interpretation of your proposal is then, that the new paragraph style
> property "list level" does not directly specify the list level of a
> paragraph, which applies such a paragraph style. But your proposal
> specifies that the paragraph's list level should change, when such a
> paragraph style is applied or the paragraph style's property "list
> level" is changed.
> Is my understanding correct?

Correct.
> If yes, I would propose to name the new paragraph style property
> style:default-list-level and explicit state in the ODF specification
> that this value is only considered when a paragraph style is applied or
> when this paragraph style property is changed.
> The new paragraph style property is not used to directly specify the
> list level of a certain paragraph in a certain ODF instance. The list
> level of a paragraph in a certain ODF instance
> (a) is determined by its nesting level of parent <text:list> elements OR
> (b) equals the value of property <text:level> of its parent element
> <text:numbered-paragraph>.
> Does my understanding correspond to your intention?

Your understanding is almost correspond to my intention except I do not thinkg think the attribute name style:default-list-level is better. Actually the way to change the list level of paragraph through applying the numbering style is used very commonly, not just used to set the initial level of paragraph. User can customize the paragraphy style at any time. For example, whatever OpenOffice3.0 or Symphony 1.2, we can create a paragraph style called "ParaStyle" by style list dialog, set its parent style as "Heading 1", set its Numbering style as "List 1". Then we can apply this "ParaStyle" to some paragraph. The saved XML would be like:

Now we would like to develop the feature that allow user to customize the list level in the paragraph style. For example, in the paragraph applied the style "ParaStyle", we can edit the paragraph style by popup menu, in the paragraph style dialog, select Numbering tab, we can see "List 1" is selected in the list box. Under the numbering style list box, we would like to add some UI to specify the list level for this paragraph style. Note, this UI is enabled only when Numbering style is not "None". Corresponding XML format, the style:list-level attribute is only valid when the style:list-style-name exists. The saved XML would be like:

I've add this interpretation to the wiki in oder to help members understand: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/add_list_level_attribute_to_style%3Astyle

> >> Let me point you to something similar that we have in ODF: We have
> >> the paragraph style property style:default-outline-level. This
> >> paragraph style property is used to initial set the paragraph
> >> property text:outline-level to "X", when a paragraph style with
> >> style:default-outline-level="X" is applied to this paragraph. In
> >> this case the paragraph becomes a heading on outline level "X" - it
> >> changes from a <text:p> element to a <text:h> element. Thus, the
> >> paragraph style property style:default-outline-level is only used
> >> to set the initial value of the paragraph property
> >> text:outline-level, when the paragraph style is applied. I can
> >> imagine something similar for your proposed paragraph style
> >> property "list level".
> > Thanks for reminder. We've investigated the
> > style:default-outline-level before submitting the proposal. I totally
> > agree that the style:default-outline-level is only used to set the
> > initial value of the paragraph property text:outline-level for
> > <text:h> element, and mainly for TOC features. But the proposed
> > paragraph style property "list level" can be applied to any paragraph
> > <text:p>. For example, with this list level property, we can define
> > some numbering list styles, and then apply these numbering list
> > styles to the specific paragraphs.
>
> Yes, style:default-outline-level is different to your proposed stuff.
> My intention to point to style:default-outline-level was to indicate
> that in my opinion style:default-outline-level and your new proposed
> paragraph style property are similar in its effect to the paragraphs.

As the above interpretation, although style:list-level is similar with style:default-outline-level, they are different in nature.