Subject: Re: Low-Hanging Fruit

Dennis,

one reason we are aiming to have a last date until which proposals are
accepted is that we need to stabilize the specification. This is
required to be able to conduct reviews of the specification, where each
additional proposal may require an additional review at least of a part,
or even worse, may not find the attention of a some reviewers.

We also need this stabilization to be able to make the last editorial
changes, prepare lists of changes, prepare the attribute and element
listings, validate the schema, and so on. This all requires a
specification that is stable, and where the changes are kept at a minimum.

So, even what may look as low-hanging fruit in the first glance may
result in a lot of additional work that is additionally required. For
this reason I think we should stay the with the decision we made last
week, that was to identify a set of proposals we will consider for ODF
1.2 and a deadline for its discussion and approval, and to defer all
other proposals to the next version.

On 15.12.08 07:57, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> After we sort out our priorities in the December 15 Coordination Call, I think it would be useful to allow proposals that are low-hanging fruit to be considered after January 15 while we are crunching to get the document parts into shape.
>
> By low-haning fruit, I mean proposals that are about something simple, appear to be complete, and have been discussed on the list to the point where there seem to be no problems.
>
> Then if there is a breather or we start having room on Coordination Call agendas, allow low-hanging-fruit proposals to be quickly discussed and approved or not (standing rules apply), with very little time on the call itself.  We might even do on-line balloting instead.
>
> Just a thought.  Some proposals take a lot of work, but ones that don't should maybe have a chance to rise to the top of the stack at some point.
>
>  - Dennis
>
> PS: I don't have any in mind.  I thought I might find some in the current list.  But neither the presentation:page-ids nor the table:protect proposals were no-brainers when I figured they would be.  I still think it is an useful idea, but we might not find any candidates?
>
> Dennis E. Hamilton
> NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
> mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
> http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS