Subject: Re: [office] Generalizing svg:title and svg:desc for titling andaccessibility

Dennis,

a more general use of title and description elements is an interesting
idea, and something that we may want to research for the next (post 1.2)
version of ODF.

Two things that we should consider in addition to your items below are:

1. ODF applications typically don't operate on a DOM model. In
particular, they don't expose all XML elements to the user and they
don't provide a user interface for all elements. Furthermore, a lot of
ODF elements have the purpose to structure information internally in a
file, but are not intended to be displayed or otherwise made available
to the user.

This means that there are a lot of elements where having a title and a
description is reasonable, but there are also a lot of elements there
this is not reasonable.

An example may be the <office:styles> element that is just a container
for styles. Or the <text:drop-cap> element that holds drop cap
definitions within a style.

2. ODF adopts elements and concepts from other standards, where this is
possible. This is one of the design principles defined in the ODF TCS's
charter. Graphical objects for instance have been adopted from SVG.
That's the reason why <svg:desc> and <svg:title> are used. One may
replace these with more general elements, but this would mean that we
move away from SVG here, or from other standards for other elements.
Please note that I don't want to argue here that using more general
elements here is not possible at all. I only want to point out that this
also has impacts that we must consider.