Subject: Re: [office] FO properties

Michael,

I am checking all the responses I have gotten over the last couple of
months to make sure I have incorporated or responded to all suggestions
for the pre-Christmas draft.

The division into formatting properties versus others will not make it
in that draft. :-(

However, so I can get a good run at it for next the draft after that,
are there any "formatting" properties aside from those of SVG and FO? I
have a sense there are but I don't think we have every enumerated them.
Are any of the style properties "formatting" properties?|

I sense not because we do have some forms of inheritance for styles but
not for SVG and FO properties.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Patrick

Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11/08/08 20:56, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>> Greetings!
>>
>> I am working on incorporating the rest of the Sun team and other
>> comments into the next draft.
>>
>> One item of particular concern is that we don't generally support the
>> value "inherit" for any FO attributes.
>
> That is not specific to FO attributes. This also applies to those SVG
> attributes that are "properties" in SVG terminology. Most of them do
> also support a value "inherit" that ODF does not support.
>>
>> Whether we should or not in some future release is not of present
>> concern.
>>
>> What is of concern is whether we should place all FO attributes in a
>> separate section so we can make general statements about all FO
>> attributes and not have to repeat where we don't support values, like
>> inherit for any FO attribute.
>
> My suggestion would be to move all ODF formatting properties into
> separate section. We may then add a general statement about FO and SVG
> formatting properties, but the specification also gets clearer
> regarding what is a formatting property, and what is an attribute to
> an element.
>
> Best regards
>
> Michael
>

>> There are other values that we don't support for particular values
>> but those will be noted on those particular attributes.
>>
>> I can't think of another value that we systematically don't support
>> for FO attributes but I would like to avoid having to repeat that we
>> don't support inherit time after time on attributes.
>>
>> Realize this will change the section numbers from the current draft
>> but I would rather do that now than after we have a public draft out
>> for review.
>>
>> My leaning is towards simply biting the bullet and doing the section
>> for all FO attributes but I don't have to do it now while TC members
>> are reviewing it. I can do that right before we send out a version
>> for public review.
>>
>> Thoughts/suggestions?
>>
>> Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
>>
>> Patrick

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)