Subject: OASIS namespace design and resources

Hi Mary,

I got some question regarding the OASIS namespace design.

Background: In ODF 1.2 there will be two new namespaces, described by
the new ODF 1.2 OWL grammar and used in ODF documents in the new RDF/XML
manifest.rdf files.

After reviewing your latest version of OASIS guidelines [1], I realized
that my current proposal

http://docs.oasis-open.org/opendocument/meta/pkg#
http://docs.oasis-open.org/opendocument/meta/odf#

needs adaption to:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/opendocument/1.2/meta/pkg#
http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/opendocument/1.2/meta/odf#

Note:
Behind the version, the path includes the sub-committee name 'meta',
because the XML elements are RDF elements and exist only in an RDF/XML
file as elements and as well 'pkg' or 'odf' to destinguish two sets of
XML elements according to the two layers of ODF 1.2:
1) the ODF package layer defining the zipped package reusable by XML
formats than ODF XML and
2) the ODF document layer related to the ODF XML schema

Would the naming schema consist with the OASIS rules?

As the desired resource behind the new namespace URLs are RDF
vocabularies, I would like to ask, if OASIS is able to provide a
mechanism as described in "Best Practice Recipes for Publishing RDF
Vocabularies" [2]. This approach is used by RDF related sites (e.g.
[3]). The basic idea is that the server returns an RDF/XML file for RDF
crawlers, but some human readable resource (XHTML) in case of user
agents/browsers. In our case the XHTML file would be a RDDL namespace
document [4] [5].

If such a mechanism [2] is possible I will create two RDDL files for the
namespaces, otherwise the OWL grammar would be more adequate than RDDL.

Finally I got one further resource to be accessed from an OASIS server:
The XSLT GRDDL file to map the RDFa and meta.xml to RDF/XML, that I
would suggest to locate at
http://docs.oasis-open.org/ns/opendocument/1.2/odf2rdf.xsl

Regards,
Svante

[1]
http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/namingGuidelines/resourceNaming.html#NamespaceDesign
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-vocab-pub/#recipe3
[3] http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#namespace-document
[5] http://www.rddl.org/

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH           Svante Schubert
Nagelsweg 55                    Software Engineer

Sitz der Gesellschaft: