Subject: RE: [office] OASIS namespace design and resources

Hi Svante,

  See responses inline.

Best regards,

Mary

[mpm]
While the name of the TC was changed quite some time ago, the TC itself did
not reconstitute and therefore the mailing lists, kavi groups, and all
associated resources must still bear the 'office' moniker.

> Would it not be useful in terms of modularity to allow a TC in the
> guidelines to create more than one namespace?
> I wonder if there is a way to create more than one namespace by the
> guidelines, when using only a TC name and a versioned NS string.
> For this modularity reason I suggested the path behind the versioned NS
> string for our ODF format (in our case the strings of the sub-committee
> name & layer).
[mpm]
  Sorry if I implied only a single namespace could be created ... once you
get past the required bits you're free to define as many namespaces as you'd
like.

> Regarding the specific iteration string, it makes perfectly sense in an
> URL to resolve a versioned resource, providing different versions of a
> spec at the same time on the web.
> On the other hand, versioning is not supported by the XML namespace
> standard. Changing the namespace URI even in one single character makes
> the XML elements using the changed namespace to complete different
> elements, totally unrecognizable to existing tools, which depend on XML
> techniques as XPATH and XSL.
> Furthermore, even if a TC would expand its format XML vocabulary, it
> would reuse the existing namespace (with the old version substring) on
> new elements to avoid confusion on their users.
> A versioning with "odf1.2" seems therefore sufficient.
[mpm]
Versioning the namespace is very different from maintaining multiple
iterations of the specification - so while the namespace itself doesn't
change, the namespace document associated with that namespace is updated
each time a new release (CD, PR, CS, or OS) is approved. Having separate
directories for each stage is just good housekeeping from a directory
standpoint.

> Thank you very much for the namespace template.
> Perhaps the link to the RDDL template could be added to the naming
> guidelines, along with links to existing implementations.
>
> Finally did I understand correctly that the GRDDL XSLT stylesheet may
> be
> hosted at
>     http://docs.oasis-open.org/opendocument/1.2/xslt/odf2rdf.xsl
> And that it is possible for OASIS to resolve resources dependent on the
> user agent (according to [2]) for URL namespaces?
[mpm]
No, it must be hosted at http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/... Currently, we
always resolve to the namespace document regardless of the user agent. I'm
not sure what else might be possible - copying Robin Cover on the thread as
he may have more experience/knowledge.

> Thank you very much for your help, Mary.
> Seems I got quite a bundle of x-mas wishes here..
[mpm]
Never hurts to ask!