Subject: RE: [office] Embedded Metadata in <office:document>

There is a misunderstanding here.  I am not talking about embedding binary
or non-XML material in an <office:document> element.  My question is only
about the prospect of embedded metadata.  I see no requirement for Base64
encoding at all.

MY QUESTION: Whether the specification of the metadata proposal can make
carrying of the equivalent of metadata.rdf in elements of <office:document>
possible, whether or not supporting <office:document> is unattractive for
other reasons.

 - Dennis

FURTHER ANALYSIS

1. I am only asking where something like a <rdf:rdf> elements might fit,
somewhere under an <office:document> element, that serves the purpose of the
metadata extension in the context of free-standing <office:document> XML
documents.

2. While removing the <office:document> element might make life simpler, it
is beyond my competence and knowledge of the implementation situation to
propose removal or merely deprecation. I am going to assume, along with you,
that <office:document> will continue to exist in ODF 1.2.  I am not aware
that any proposal for removal is on the table.

3. I don't follow your argument about mapping packages to XML documents with
<office:document> as their root element.  I think it is understood that
there can be package content that is not preservable with a standalone
<office:document>, and no one seems to be disturbed about that.

4. However, there is a well-defined mapping from an XML <office:document>
document to an ODF package with the same MIME type as in the
<office:document> office:mimetype attribute.  There is also no problem with
preservation of xml:id attributes when mapping from an <office:document>
instance *to* an ODF package instance.

4. XML documents that appear as subfiles having ODF root elements already
have mappings to <office:document> elements in the ODF specifications.  My
question is whether that technique can be arranged for the case of RDF
metadata too.  This mapping has to do with the correspondence of document
structure, not with a requirement for easy conversion between instances.

5. I agree that translation of an ODF document *instance* from one form to
the other can require reconciliation of xml:id collisions.  It will
certainly require rewriting of all of the RDF, since the URIs for document
elements will all change when going in either direction.  Whether
implementations make such provision seems to be a decision best left to
implementers, just like a decision to provide first-class support for
standalone <office:document> XML documents.

Have I narrowed the questions in an useful way?