Subject: RE: [office] Re: Custom Slide Shows: presentation:page-ids is unnecessary

David,

I came onto the 2008-12-15 call late and I missed the discussion of that proposal.  So it was not I who commented or offered to clean up the text.  (I'm not an editor anyhow).

I will turn in a comment to Patrick on OpenDocument-v1.2-draft7-13 to make the change in 18.334.19 on the <draw:page> draw:name usage. (3.1 and 3.2 below).  The change to use NCNames is more complicated and I suspect will not fit into the 1.2 schedule we are pursuing.

I will also record the ODF 1.2 change as an errata item for previous versions of the ODF specification.  (Once I have the cookie for updating the comment-list document.)  I don't know if this is considered significant enough to list in the "changes made from previous versions in making 1.2" Appendix.

 - Dennis

PS: Thanks for staying on top of this.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Faure [mailto:faure@kde.org]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200901/msg00021.html
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 08:06
To: dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Cc: Thorsten Zachmann; ODF TC List

On Saturday 13 December 2008, Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200812/msg00117.html
> Dear Dennis and TC members,
>
> thanks for the detailed explanation. It had quite some interesting things in
> it I did not know.
[ ... ]
> > 3.1 In section 18.334.19 <draw:page> use of draw:name attribute, add the
> > sentence: "Note that for the <draw:page> to be referenced from a
> > presentation:pages attribute, the draw:name attribute must be present."
> >
> > (We can leave it to implementations how that is assured if an user hasn't
> > provided the value (yet).)
> >
> > 3.2 Bonus points: Delete the unnecessary source of confusion, "If not
> > present, an application may generate a unique name."  (Applications may do
> > all sorts of wonderful things.  This statement is not needed to enable that
> > and it has apparently provoked poor solutions.)
> >
> > 3.3 In the schema for the draw:name attribute of <draw:page>, the value
> > should probably be of type NCName, not string.  To accomplish this, it is
> > probably best to deprecate string and specify that NCName is recommended
> > whenever a new draw:name is created in an ODF 1.2 document, especially
> > since <svg:title> and <svg:desc> are now available.  (Implementation
> > observation, not for the spec: The same can be done when making a
> > down-level document, but non-NCName strings should be preserved when
> > working with a down-level input that is to stay down-level.)
>
> I'm all for dropping the proposal when the above will be incoperated into ODF
> 1.2. As Dennis has pointed out we already have what we need and it is easier
> for backward compatibility.

Hi Dennis, all,

I am a bit unclear what is going to happen about this issue now. Was it you Dennis
who volunteered to make the change to the specification in the last conf call of December?
(iirc someone did but I didn't recognize the voice and it's not in the minutes).

Thanks,