Subject: RE: [office] DSIG proposal - URI vs.

I don't think it is that hard to choose.  I agree that it is rather
arbitrary which choice is made.

Here's my thinking:

1. [xml-dsig] specifies URI, so it seems rather difficult to borrow from
that namespace and not use the same scheme.  We can't easily insert the
package-root type with out major surgery on the xml-dsig schema to have an
alternative to the <ds:Reference> URL attribute.

2. However, relative URIs (including those beginning with "/", ".", and
anything else other than a URI-scheme identifier) are subject to definition
by the application, especially where we are talking about resolution of
paths within an ODF package.  So for ODF, we have the freedom to say which
way it should work.

3. SUGGESTION: In this case I would recommend using the definition of 17.5
(which is in the package section for ODF 1.1 and which still needs to be
cleaned up to resolve some defect-report concerns) with the modification
that "/" is the root of the package and not of the directory containing the
package.  (It is important not to have to know the filename of the package
in order to refer to it.)

4. I see the following value in this choice:

   4.1. It is often the case that one wants to refer to siblings of a
detached-signature file in order to sign material in those siblings
(including the manifest.xml package item).  Reference to elements of the
same file is accomplished by xml:id and fragment identifiers, so that works
correctly.

   4.2. It is useful to have a way to signify the entire package by "/"
(comparable to fragment ID reference "#" for an entire file) and effectively
have an embedded signature for it.  (This is rather tricky, as are all
embedded-signature cases, but it can be done so long as the file containing
the signature is not allowed to be compressed and the digest and the
signature will each be of known-in-advance fixed-length).

 - Dennis