Subject: Re: [office] DSIG proposal - URI vs.

Bob, Dennis,

On 06.01.09 13:54, Bob Jolliffe wrote:
> Hi Dennis
>
> 2009/1/5 Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>:

>> 3. SUGGESTION: In this case I would recommend using the definition of 17.5
>> (which is in the package section for ODF 1.1 and which still needs to be
>> cleaned up to resolve some defect-report concerns) with the modification
>> that "/" is the root of the package and not of the directory containing the
>> package.  (It is important not to have to know the filename of the package
>> in order to refer to it.)
>
> Current implementations use the following convention for the
> <ds:Reference> URL attribute:
>  <Reference URI="content.xml">
>  <Reference URI="Thumbnails/thumbnails.png">
>
> The discussion is about the Base URI to be used rather than the root.

I agree. The question is whether we use the URI that was used to
retrieve the package as base URI, or that URI with "/META-INF" appended.
So, we indeed could take everything we say in 17.5, but only adapt the
base URI that is used.

> If there were no existing implementations, then I would have suggested
> the same as you.  But there are and it doesn't make sense to make a

Well, independent of what is implemented, I think there could be reasons
to use the URI that was used to retrieve the package as base URI,
although the files are in the META-INF folder. The signature files like
the manifest.xml are information that make up the package. That they are
stored in a folder META-INF can be considered to be an implementation
detail of the package. We could have stored this information in some
other place (which is not a folder in the zip files) if zip files would
allow us to do so. I would not prefer this actually, because having the
package related information in a META-INF folder makes that information
accessible and is consistent with JAR files. I'm only mentioning this to
point out how the signature information differs from let's say
information in content.xml.

So, what I actually could imagine is that we modify 17.5 by adding that
these rules also apply to files in the META-INF folder (in general, and
not only for digital signature files), except that the base URI to use
there is the one that was used to retrieve the package.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten