Subject: RE: [office] ODF 1.2 Single-Level Conformance and Floor << Ceiling Already

Rob,

I recalled the floor=ceiling debate as the kind of thing that has plagued
standards bodies from olden times, yet I completely misremembered the
dimensions of the debate.  I noticed that as I was sending off the note
about MIMETYPES and how <office:body> needs to align.

It happens that the floor for ODF is far below what must be accepted from a
(strictly-)compliant document.  That is because the requirement for
processing does not insist on any minimum feature set whatsoever (ODF
1.0/1.1 non-normative Appendix D presents that as an feature from the
perspective of the founding fathers).

The following example is ridiculous (and Bart Hanssens will raise his
eyebrows), but it points out the most (or least, depending on perspective)
that any ODF processor has to deal with.  Acceptance of all sorts of
additional content must be acceptable, but support for it at the processing
or semantic level is not.  This is a far bigger deal for interoperability
than whether or not foreign elements are allowed, with or without some
proviso that the reduction to a conformant document be benign.  Keeping in
mind that the world is a mostly-practical, often-realistic, place, and no
one could get a way with this, here is all that the letter of the ODF law
requires.

I chose 1.0/1.1 because those specifications are already definite about this
and I wanted to use the minimal number of required attributes.  Don't blink
or you'll miss it:

	-	-	-	-	-	-	-

<!-- Minimum Required ODF 1.0/1.1 Text Document
     There is one for each of the main document
     types.  There is a package equivalent that
     has the same office:body in an office:document-
     content element in content.xml and has the MIMETYPE
     in the special first-item of the package.
     For a text template, just change the mimetype.
     -->

<o:document
      xmlns:o="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:1.0"
      o:mimetype="application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text"

   <o:body>
      <o:text />
   </o:body>
      <!-- Singing: I ain't got no body, no body have I ... -->
</o:document>

	-	-	-	-	-	-	-

[It is just like me to have more commentary than code, as I'm sure is no
surprise.]

I grant that, as far as a grammar for markup goes, allowing these cases is
very convenient for definition.  It is also useful to do incremental,
test-driven development of a processor from progressive test documents like
this.  I expect to see many more of these under such conditions.

However, there is not much help in Appendix D about what would be essential
to support.  Noticing that, maybe I should give up fretting about ceiling1 =
ceiling2, although I do think that foreign elements and attributes have an
useful place, whether there is a conformance level with regard to their
benign use or not.

 - Dennis