Subject: RE: [office] Regarding Conformance Clauses

Michael,

1. I am interested in having the foreign element definition and the
processing procedure be the same as the one in ODF 1.1.  The one proposed
for ODF 1.2 is different and also flips the meaning of the
office:process-content attribute.  I see no justification for making that a
breaking change, especially if such foreign elements were seen by an ODF 1.1
processor, or (originally) created by an ODF 1.1 processor.  Maybe we should
look at the Document Processing portion of the proposal separately, after
deciding if any of it belongs in the conformance section.

2. With regard to P1.3, I think the statement should be stronger.  I think
that if a conforming consumer does not interpret the semantics of an
element, attribute, or attribute value, it SHOULD behave as if that were a
foreign element, attribute, or attribute value (not sure there is such a
thing as a foreign attribute value though).  We should also consider whether
office:process-content could be used in those cases by document producers in
advising less-capable consumers of an appropriate action.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM [mailto:Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 01:11
To: dennis.hamilton@acm.org

Hi Dennis,

On 01/20/09 18:24, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Thanks for this summary.
>
> The language I would like to see retained, even if there is no
> loosely-conforming category, is a definition of foreign elements with the
> agreed rules on how they MAY be accepted, and what SHOULD be done when
they
> are accepted and not understood by a conformant processor.

Sorry, but which language in the ODF 1.1 spec are you referring to?
Which statement in the current proposals is unclear in this regard?

> In addition, I would like to see a clause that suggests that conformant
> processors SHOULD treat those conformant-document elements and attributes
> that are not supported by a conformant implementation as foreign.  (At the
> moment, we simply say nothing about this case.)

What we say is "(P1.3) It [a conforming consumer] shall be able to parse
any conforming OpenDocument documents, but it need not interpret the
semantics of all elements, attributes and attribute values."

What is missing?

> I have no problem with there being a single schema that is the same as
what
> the strict schema is intended to accomplish.  I think that is a good idea.
> It would be much cleaner and understandable.

>  - Dennis

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten