Subject: RE: [office] Conformance Definitions

Michael,

I'm surprised to see such a significant proposal being thrown into ODF 1.2 after we spent much time in December selecting five specific proposals and agreeing that those would be the only ones considered for ODF 1.2.  Has something changed in recent weeks?  We were all told in December that no new proposals would be considered for 1.2 other than the five we had selected, so it's not clear to me why we're even discussing this one.  Can others also suggest new proposals for 1.2 beyond the five we had selected?  Did we recently agree to forego the process Rob outlined in December, which we all agreed to at that time?

Sorry if I've missed something here, as I've been a bit out of touch this week due to travel for SC34 WG4 meetings.  But as far as I can tell, this is something that was raised verbally last week and is going to a vote next week, which certainly doesn't match the process we have agreed to for wrapping up ODF 1.2.

Regards,
Doug

Doug Mahugh | Office Interoperability | 425-707-1182 | blogs.msdn.com/dmahugh

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM [mailto:Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:34 AM
To: OpenDocument Mailing List
Subject: [office] Conformance Definitions

Dear TC members,

first of all, I would like to thank you for the valuable feedback I got
after we have discussed the proposal in the last TC call.

It seems to me that there are no objects for having only a single
conformance level which does not allow foreign elements and attributes,
but that there are concerns to immediately forbid foreign elements
within <office:meta> and in particular also <*-properties> elements,
where ODF 1.1 explicitly allowed these elements.

I have updated the proposal[1] to reflect this, where I have taken the
variant which did only define a single conformance level as basis.
However, I have re-introduced the notion of a strictly conforming
document, which means that there are two levels again. The one of a
conforming document, and the one of  a strictly conforming document. A
conforming document is one that does allow foreign elements and
attributes within <office:meta> and <*-properties>, and only there,
while a strictly conforming document does not allow foreign elements and
attributes at all. The differentiation is made again using a strict and
a non-strict schema. In this regards, there is no change from ODF 1.1.

The proposal further
- declares the use of foreign elements in <office:meta> and
<*-properties> to be deprecated;
- indirectly adds a requirement to document their use by declaring their
semantic to be implementation defined.
- adds a requirement that conforming producers must be able to produce
strict conforming documents on demand.

I would like to discuss the proposal, and in particular the three items
above, in the next TC call. And unless the proposal requires larger
modifications, I would like to ask for a ballot on the proposal in this
call.

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/30932/conformance-definition-proposal-v7.odt
StarOffice/OpenOffice.org