Subject: Re: [office] Conformance Definitions

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> You have not argued that such extensions should be conformant, only that
> they may be useful.  I think these are two very different things.  It is
> not a requirement that an ODF document should be capable of all useful
> things, whether defined by the ODF standard or not.  It is only required
> that the ODF Standard define what exactly a conformant ODF doc is.

I see one big problem here. The current draft of ODF 1.2 conformance
definition is not compatible with ODF 1.0 (and ISO/IEC 26300:2600). I
don't think that users ODF 1.0 who use foreign element/attributes for
their extension data will applaud to our TC for ignoring investments to
their infrastructure in a good faith in a continued evolution of ODF.

> I think it is instructive to look at the W3C XHTML Recommendation.  It
> defines an extensibility mechanism, via XML namespaces, but does not
> permit such extensions in conformant documents.

I don't think that XHTML is really good example here. If you speak with
people involved in XHTML creation they today have different opinion on
usefulness of conformance and strict conformance as used in XHTML -- it
was one of reasons why XHTML failed -- marketed as extensible but made
in-extensible by law.

> Similarly, OOXML defines
> some extensibility mechanisms, like custom import parts, but not in
> conformant documents.   I don't think anyone is denying the usefulness of
> an ODF extensibility mechanism, or even whether the extensibility
> mechanism should be defined in the standard, but only whether such
> mechanisms may be used in conformant documents.

If there should be strict conformance in ODF to support simplistic
applications that do not have to take care about foreign extensions then
there should be also another conformance level which will allow foreign
elements/attributes and will guarantee roundtripping of them.

				Jirka

OpenPGP digital signature