Subject: One strictly conforming document?

Greetings!

Under Producer Conformance the current proposal states:

***
(G1)

A /Conforming OpenDocument/ /Producer/ is a program that creates at
least one strict conforming OpenDocument document, and that meets the
following additional requirements:
***

and

***
(G1.2)

It /may/ create conforming OpenDocument documents that are not strict
conforming OpenDocument documents, but it /shall/ have a mode of
operation where all OpenDocument documents that are created are strict
conforming OpenDocument documents.
***

That seems to me to exclude the possibility that I might have an
application that only produces "...not strictly conforming OpenDocument
documents..." which seems like an odd restriction.

Granted that I fully support Michael's notion that the ODF TC should in
the future be able to more routinely produce standard extensions to the
format, but I also realize there maybe custom uses where there is no
desire or need for an standardized extension. Or at least I would prefer
to keep that open as a possibility and not to deny applications that
substantially rely on ODF 1.2 from being able to claim that they conform
to ODF 1.2 (as does their output, to the extent that it does).

Hope everyone is at the start of a great week!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)