Subject: Re: [office] One strictly conforming document?

Bob,

You say below:

> My preference would still be very much for the single strict
> conformance class for documents, with no foreign elements except in
> the agreed upon locations.  I will shift extremely reluctantly (wild
> horses ...) towards a mish-mash of conformance permutations.
Well, but the shift is to the "stricter" conformance so the burden of
establishing that need in on those who desire it.

A conformance clause does not have the talisman like quality that seem
to be desired to distinguish between applications.

Users will always have the responsibility of evaluating claims of
conformance. Or to put it another way, conformance clauses are not
self-executing.

For that matter, users really should be evaluating their *requirements*
and not conformance clauses of standards.

And as I said in my presentations in South Africa last summer,
conformance to a standard is a necessary but not sufficient condition
for interoperability.

If you want that in terms of conformance to ODF 1.2, consider a set of
strictly conforming ODF documents that use different semantics for their
content. Sure the documents are "interchangeable" from the standpoint of
the ODF standard, but if they are being exchanged between a hospital and
a central health authority, that interchangeability is all but useless
in the face of differing semantics. Meets the "strict ODF 1.2
conformance clause" test but not the user requirement for interoperability.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick