Subject: Moving forward on Conformance

It might help to take a top down approach to defining the conformance
clause, and see whether we agree on the broad strokes at least.  We might
not be able to avoid a vote on the details, but let's see what we agree
first.

A conformance clause can define conformance for one or more "products". A
product is the subject of conformance, the thing that conformance is
defined for.  In the case of markup languages, it is typical to define the
document itself as a product, as well as one or more applications that
operate on that document.

ODF 1.0 & ODF 1.1's conformance clause was not as crisp as I'd like it to
be, but if you parse out section 1.5 carefully, you'll see that it defines
conformance for:

-- Document
-- Applications
-- Applications that read and write

You can gleam a bit more by reading the entire standard, but if you look
at just the conformance clause you get those three products.

A standard can also define one or more conformance "classes" for each
product.  In the case of ODF 1.0/1.1 there is only a single conformance
class, the unnamed default conformance class.

So the question for us in ODF 1.2 is to determine what conformance
products and classes we want to define.  If our intent is to confuse
adopters of ODF, we could easily define a large matrix of a 48 or more
different product/class combinations, such as "ODF Spreadsheet Consumer of
the Loose Legacy Class".   But my personal belief is when the number of
conformance classes starts to exceed the number of implementations of the
standard, then we're up to no good.

So let me propose a set of possible product combinations and see if there
is generally agreement on which ones we use:

A) Document/Applications/Applications that read & write (same products as
ODF 1.1)

B) Document/Producer/Consumer (What Michael has in his latest draft)

C) Document/Producer/Consumer/Processor (adding processor, which we could
define as an application that both reads and writes and for which we could
additionally make statements about "preservation" or "round-tripping" if
there is consensus to do that)

D) Document/Spreadsheet Document/WordProcessor Document/Presentation
Document...Spreadsheet Consumer, WordProcessor Consumer...

Choice D) would be like B), but we explicitly define products for
individual document types and applications that operate on those document
types.  Probably not worth it unless we can say state different
requirements for each document type.  But it is possible, for example, we
can say that an ODF Spreadsheet has <office:spreadsheet> as the root and
uses OpenFormula for the value of the table:formula attribute, etc.  We
could also make Appendix D normative for the individual document classes.

So, is there any consensus on what we want as products in the conformance
clause?   B) or C) are fine for me.  I'd like to see us get to D) over
time.  A) is out for me, because the ODF 1.0/1.1 definitions are not
particular crisp and easy to parse.  Whatever we do we need to improve on
what we had then.

If we can get some agreement on the products, then we can talk about
whether we want multiple conformance classes on top of that.

The strict/loose distinction has been made in other standards, but that is
more typically done where legacy documents could only fit into only the
loose class.  But I have not heard anyone claim widespread use of
arbitrary private extensions in ODF 1.0/ODF 1.1 applications.  So whatever
we decide, we should be concerning ourselves with real documents and real
applications, not merely theoretical ones.  The fact that ODF 1.0 allowed
arbitrary extensions does not oblige us to preserve this capability as
conformant if in fact this feature was never or only rarely used.  We
should just count ourselves lucky and move on.  On the other hand, any
widespread conformant constructs from ODF 1.0/1.1 should be respected, I
believe.

So I think the choices we have are:

A) Single conformance class, same definition as ODF 1.0/1,1, but cleaned
up to meet OASIS requirements

B) Single conformance class, but stricter than ODF 1.0/1.1, i.e., allow
extensions in particular places but no the general use of foreign
elements/attributes. (So, essentially what Michael has in his latest
draft).

C) Single conformance class that is even stricter than B) not allowing any
extensions.  Some real documents that were conformant to ODF 1.0/1.1 would
not be conformant under this definition.  (This is what I proposed
earlier).

D) Dual conformance classes, say loose and strict, where loose=A and
strict = B

E) Dual conformance classes, say loose and strict, where loose=B and
strict = C

F) Dual conformance classes, say loose and strict, where loose=A and
strict = C

And finally we need to decide whether we apply the conformance class(es)
to documents only or make some statement about other products, such as
Consumers/Producers.  The main question seems to be whether a conformant
Producer is required to produce a non-extended document.

I think the choices are:

A) With a single document conformance class, we have a single class of
Producers/Consumers.  Producers produce conformant documents, Consumers
consume conformant documents.  We can make some additional statement about
how to process non-conformant documents.

B) With two document conformance classes we have a single conformance
class for Producers/Consumers and require that they are able to
produce/consume strict documents, but may also produce/consume loose
documents.

C) With two document conformance classes we have a single conformance
class for Producers/Consumers and require that they are able to
produce/consume loose documents.  In other words, there is no requirement
that a conformant producer/consumer be able to handle strict documents.

D) With two document conformance classes we have a two conformance classes
for Producers/Consumers, loose and strict, and each is required to be able
to read and write documents of their class.   Obviously the loose
applications become an interoperability black hole, since they are
extended in ways that the standard can not speak to, other than to make
statements about how to ignore or report things that the consumer does not
understand.

My preferences are as follows:

1) For products, I'd like to see us follow C) and define conformance for
ODF Documents, Producers, Consumers and Processors.  B) would also be
acceptable.

2) For conformance classes, My preference is for C, but B would also be
acceptable.  Of the dual-class choices, E is the least offensive.

3) And for the last question, this will depend on what agreement we can
arrive to on the other two questions, but I generally want to avoid a
proliferation of conformance classes, with applications as well as
documents.