Subject: RE: [office] ODF 1.2 Single-Level Conformance and Floor << Ceiling Already

I think messing with the ceiling doesn't accomplish anything.  Doing
something about the floor matters far more for the achievement of
interoperability and will have more bang for the buck.

Whether it takes more work or not, I am not sure, but I think that is much
more valuable to invest in than the current effort to lower the ceiling.

I also think that having a strict schema and strict conformance as a
normative case (separate from the ceiling) will do far more as a single step
than anything about the ceiling.

I do not propose to do nothing. I propose to do something where it will do
the most good and be the simplest direct improvement we can make without
breaking the provisions of earlier versions that were apparently made quite
intentionally.  I don't think we should revoke that provision until we have
had time to see how strict conformance and greater support for
interoperability work out.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [mailto:robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200901/msg00154.html
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 06:00
To: dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Cc: Bart Hanssens; office@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [office] ODF 1.2 Single-Level Conformance and Floor << Ceiling
Already

This is irrelevant to the topic at hand, I believe.  If I'm reading you
correctly (and maybe I'm missing something) you are arguing that we should
not bother fixing this area of ODF because there are other parts that are
also poorly written. But the fact that there are other areas which need
conformance work in ODF is not incompatible with concerns about ODF's
current open content model.  The inability to do everything is no excuse
for doing nothing.

[ ... ]