Subject: RE: [office] Regarding Conformance Clauses

I don't understand the preoccupation with tooling.  The ODF specification is
clearly implementable because people have done so.  How foreign elements are
dealt with, if encountered, is also something implementations have dealt
with.

Of course the stipulation has to be made in prose.  It is not possible to
know what someone who did want to accept somehow-known foreign elements
would modify their acceptance schema to allow specific ones, and we won't
know how the added-element and attribute schemas merge into the strict
schema.  We also don't know how they handle ones they don't know about but
they want to be graceful with.

If we only provide strict schemas, RelaxNG validators will presumably not
assess documents having anything else as conformant.  That strikes me as
fine.  Assessing documents that have foreign elements and attributes is a
matter for those who want to assess such documents.  I am going to presume
that where there's a will, there's a way.

With regard to the specific behavior of adjusting to the presence of foreign
elements and attributes in accepting and processing a document, I assume
that there is sufficient implementer ingenuity in the world to handle that
if it is desired.

We have, after all, been operating with that definition since 2005 and there
is no evident harm.

 - Dennis

PS: I see no reason to make contortions to satisfy a specific tool.  That is
far removed from the purpose of the ODF specifications, it seems to me.  In
particular, there seems to be no concern that NVDL cannot verify that the
office:mimetype attribute value and the <office:body> content agree.   (Or
the similar question concerning the MIMETYPE item of the package and the
<office:body> element of the <office:document-content> element of the
content.xml part.)

PPS: I don't understand the argument for flipping the default and also
deprecating the office:process-content attribute.  Validity doesn't depend
on whether the content is processed or not.  My understanding of the
validity requirement in ODF 1.1 is that there be a schema-conformant
document left when the element is ignored.  (I assume that means the start
and end tags are ignored and this process is repeated as necessary in the
content that remains.)