Subject: RE: [office] ODF 1.2 Single-Level Conformance and Floor << Ceiling Already

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 02/03/2009
06:23:34 PM:

> Please respond to dennis.hamilton
>
> I think messing with the ceiling doesn't accomplish anything.  Doing
> something about the floor matters far more for the achievement of
> interoperability and will have more bang for the buck.
>
> Whether it takes more work or not, I am not sure, but I think that is
much
> more valuable to invest in than the current effort to lower the ceiling.

> I also think that having a strict schema and strict conformance as a
> normative case (separate from the ceiling) will do far more as a single
step
> than anything about the ceiling.
>
> I do not propose to do nothing. I propose to do something where it will
do
> the most good and be the simplest direct improvement we can make without
> breaking the provisions of earlier versions that were apparently made
quite
> intentionally.  I don't think we should revoke that provision until we
have
> had time to see how strict conformance and greater support for
> interoperability work out.

Dennis,

I'll agree with you on this.  No document existing today will see its
interoperability improved by this conformance change.  In fact, no ODF
document will see its interoperability improve by any change made in ODF
1.2.  Why?  Because all documents that exist today are based on ODF 1.0,
ODF 1.1 or draft versions of ODF 1.2.  ODF 1.2 cannot retroactively change
existing documents.

However, the proliferation of arbitrary proprietary extensions in ODF 1.2
documents, if and when they occur, will certainly create even greater
interoperability problems.  I don't see how you can fail to acknowledge
that.  Your counter argument seems to be "Don't bother locking the gun
case because there are knives everywhere".  To that I'd say, let's lock
the gun case and put the knives away safely.  Certainly doing one without
the other does not accomplish everything, but we need to start somewhere
and every bit helps.   I haven't heard a plausible argument from you on
what harm is caused by disallowing arbitrary extensions in conformant
documents.

-Rob

>  - Dennis

Ceiling