Subject: Re: [office] Re: ODF Conformance

On Monday 09 February 2009, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:
> The non-strict schemas as
> it is further has the issue that is does not validate anything within
> <*-properties> elements, not even the attributes that ODF defines itself.

This sounds like a technical issue more than a specification issue.
Surely there is a way to validate that style:wrap is not given the attribute "ooo:chicken curry",
while at the same allowing attributes from other namespaces. Basically we want
- if known attribute -> check that the value is valid
- if unknown attribute in known namespace -> error
- if unknown attribute in unknown namespace -> OK, app-specific extension.

> So, dis-allowing foreign attributes and elements in <*-properties>
> elements is actually an attempt to improve validation and make make
> things less complex.

But it's a bit too brutal an approach for solving the above technical problem, IMHO.

> Having that said: If it would turn out that application settings are not
> sufficient to cover the past possibilities of foreign attributes and
> elements in <*-properties>

Yes I don't think application settings are good way to extend styles, this sounds very messy.

Instead of
we would have to move that attribute to another XML file and do
something strange like
   <koffice:extension style:name="fr1">
   </koffice:extension>

It can work technically, but it's very ugly in my opinion; slower loading
because the extensions need to be re-associated with their styles,
lack of modularity and clarity... Well, if that's the price for having a single
conformance level then I can accept it, but if it's just a workaround for
the lack of a proper validation tool, it's rather awkward.

> then I would have no objections to define an
> extension mechanism there. But I would do so as feature of
> <*-properties> elements, rather than as part of a "loose" conformance
> definition.

Sound great to me :-)

I don't want "loose" conformance, I want extendable <*-properties>.