Subject: Re: [office] Re: ODF Conformance

On Friday 06 February 2009, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> David,
>
> Thank you for pointing out that there are useful and benign uses of foreign
> elements in <style:*-properties> and elsewhere.
>
> I have a question with regard to the two-tiered approach.
>
> If these elements were disallowed at the (strictly-) conformant document
> level, would that disturb you so long as they were allowed at the broader
> (conformable, in my terms) document level?

Yes. Because they are useful and harmless, I believe that they should be allowed
even in the "strict" conformance level. I think it's Michael's intent now to define
the extension mechanism for style:*-properties in the spec itself rather than
making it part of the conformance section now, if I understood correctly.

> Secondly, does it seem practical to you that your products be able to
> produce (strictly-) conformant documents that have no such extensions
> present?

No, this does not make sense. Confusing the user with two formats in "Save As",
where one is slightly more useful and the other one exists only for some strict
compliance with a spec they didn't read -- and the exact same interoperability
with both formats, is rather pointless.