Subject: The Rule of Least Power

I've been struggling to articulate exactly why I don't like the
general-purpose foreign-content mechanism in ODF, and why I think it is so
dangerous.  But I just stumbled on a W3C "TAG Finding" (essentially
architectural principles promulgated by the W3C's top architects) that
says it clearer than I have.

The paper is called "The Rule of Least Power" and I'd encourage members to
give it a quick read.

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/leastPower.html

The abstract gives the gist of it:

"When designing computer systems, one is often faced with a choice between
using a more or less powerful language for publishing information, for
expressing constraints, or for solving some problem. This finding explores
tradeoffs relating the choice of language to reusability of information.
The 'Rule of Least Power' suggests choosing the least powerful language
suitable for a given purpose."

This is one reason our RDF/XML metadata may be preferred than the general
foreign-content mechanism, and why even more targeted mechanisms are
appropriate for more targeted purposes.

It is paradoxical, but the "most powerful" extensibility mechanism is not
always the best.  Certainly arbitrary memory pointers in C are more
powerful than object references in Java.  But this is a hindrance and a
liability unless you need that particular power in pointers, i.e., in the
DOS days when we could write directly to video RAM at a fixed address.
Bringing out the nuclear death ray gun every time you want to swat a fly
will eventually get you in trouble.

So I wonder where exactly in ODF do we need/want extensibility?  Can these
easily be enumerated?  If so, what is the least powerful extensibility
mechanism that will work in these cases?  Remember, if we reduce the power
of the mechanism for expressing extensions, we at the same time reduce the
requirements for consumers of the documents, who would then not need to
manage dealing with the general case of arbitrary extensions.

I've started a wiki page where we can hopefully enumerate what mechanisms
we know are currently in use, or anticipated.  I'd encourage TC members to
append additional examples that you know of.

http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/Extensibility_Mechanisms