Subject: Foreign attributes in <*-properties> elements

Hi David,

in our last TC call we have discussed the question whether we want to
add/keep an extension mechanism for formatting properties even for (non
extended) conforming documents, and I have suggested to proceed with
this independent of the conformance clauses itself.

My suggestion was that we add the following text to chapter 16:

> The <*-properties> elements may, in addition to the elements and
> attributes defined by the OpenDocument schema, contain elements and
> attributes not defined by the schema. These *shall not* be associated
> with a namespace defined by this specification. The semantics of these
> elements and attributes are implementation defined. They *shall not*
> influence how the document is displayed, but *may* be evaluated when the
> document is modified, for instance, when the properties of an object are
> modified or new objects are inserted.

While it has been suggested to remove the last sentence, I still think
we should keep it, or something similar, because otherwise we would
allow adding formatting properties that may have any kind of influence
on the display of a document. This would be in so far and issue, as
there is no strict conformance anymore, which explicitly forbids these
attributes.

So, this still would be my proposal. However, if I read the mails from
Thomas Zander, it is not clear to me whether this extension mechanism
alone would be sufficient for KOffice, or whether there are other
extensions that are outside formatting properties. I would further like
to point out that there still is a conformance mode that allows foreign
elements and attributes anywhere, which as been renamed to "extended
conformance", and that the case we are discussing here is just a special
case of that conformance mode.

Taking it all together, it seems to me that you are in a much better
position than me to decide whether this extension would be useful for
KOffice, and also how the precise wording could be to meet the scope of
KOffice's extensions. Provided this is okay for you, I therefore would
like to ask you care about this proposal if you think that's reasonable.
It of cause is fine for me if you would just adopt my suggestion.

I will put this on the agenda for Monday.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten