Subject: Re: [office] The Rule of Least Power

2009/2/13 Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>:
> robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

>> The general problem is hard, as you state.  But I think we would hit 95%
>> of uses by having a short list of attributes like preserveOnCopy,
>> preserveOnEdit, preserveOnMove, etc.
>
> Those attributes seems to be oriented purely towards interaction with
> document. I think that even more important is expected behaviour when
> document with extensions is loaded/processed. ISO/IEC 29500-3 (Markup
> Compatibility and Extensibility) defines quite good mechanism for
> defining processing expectations for extension elements/attributes. It
> can be taken as a starting point and possibly extended with more precise
> controls over interactive editing tasks.

That way, IBM and Sun can determine what other apps will do with
their extensions.

Expected processing is the key to a standard, if of interest.

Browsers set a 'standard' by defining the expected processing behaviour
to 'show text content as plain text'. That suffices for a browser.

Ignore other uses of extensions until this aspect is defined for ODF.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.