Subject: Re: [office] Foreign attributes in <*-properties> elements

On Sunday 15 February 2009, Dave Pawson wrote:
> 2009/2/15 Thorsten Zachmann <t.zachmann@zagge.de>:
> > I agree with Rob here that it would be nice if these values could be kept
> > if a different application loads and saves the document. For myself I is
> > also fine if an application would strip these attributes.
>
> Which?

If we want to have somethink like keeping foreign attributes those foreign
attributes would need to be described somewhere in the saved odf file so that
could work. Also the contains under which they can be kept would need to
specified.

> Why would an application (you don't constrain to a type of application
> such as an office type of application of ODF) do this?
>
> What attributes/elements? All in any foreign namespace?
> For what purpose?
>
> Would you put this requirement on all ODF applications?

No. I think it is ok for applications to strip all stuff it does not support
during a load/save. That also happens in koffice.

> This does not seem sensible as a general constraint.
>
> I.e. I'd propose that no application is required to retain
> foreign attributes or elements when saving back to file.

Yes you are right a requirement does not make sense. It would be however nice
if an application (only if there is a way defined in ODF) other then the one
that wrote them out in the start can preserve them.

Hope that clarifies it a bit more.

Thorsten